Michigan has fairly strict requirements for recording documents at the Register of Deeds Office. The principal requirements are:
- Documents must be at least 8 1/2″ by 11″ and no larger than 8 1/2″ by 14″
- There must be a 2 1/2″ margin at the top and a 1/2″ margin at the sides
- The document must be black ink on white paper (signatures can be in blue ink in Washtenaw County but nothing else!)
- The minimum paper weight must be 20lbs. (No thermal fax paper!)
- The document must be legible with at least 10pt. type face
- The document must be signed in front of a Notary Public
You must also pay recording fees of $9.00 for the first page and $2.00 for each additional page (e.g. a three page document costs $13.00).